Football Thrilled to Play Under the Lights at Jayne Stadium, Hosting KCU Saturday
It's Family Weekend at Morehead State and the centerpiece of activities is the Morehead State Football team finally returning home to open action at Jayne Stadium. The Eagles host the Kentucky Christian Knights Saturday at 6 p.m. ET.
The game will air live on ESPN+ with Jared Stacy and Hunter Hurst behind the mics. It can be heard on the Eagle Sports Radio Network with WIVY-96.3 FM serving as flagship station. Chuck Mraz, Jason Blanton and Tom Lewis provide the radio call. Fans can also hear it on MSUEagles.com, WGOH-110.9 FM/1370 AM and WMST-106.9 FM/1150 AM.
The game marks the fifth all-time meeting between these two programs, located just 35 miles apart on Interstate 64. The Eagles have won all four previous meetings, all at Jayne Stadium, and by an average victory margin of 56-12.
Record vs. Kentucky Christian: 4-0
First Meeting: 9/1/11 MSU won 67-0
Last Meeting: 9/14/19 MSU won 73-34
Eagles' Record in Morehead: 4-0
Eagles' Record in Grayson: 0-0
• Morehead State has won five consecutive home openers and is 13-2 in home openers since 2007.
• With its 7-4 scorecard last fall, Morehead State secured its first back-to-back above .500 seasons since 2002 and 2003. The seven victories marked most since a 7-4 finish in 2015. The Eagles finished in a tie for second place in the Pioneer League with newcomer St. Thomas - the second consecutive second place finish.
• Sophomore Chance Harris took over the starting running back duties in 2022. The 5-11 back has had two solid performances against stiff competition in Mercer and Montana State. He has rushed for 54.5 yards per game on a team-high 26 carries.
• According to stat analytics on Ultimate.PFF.com, Morehead State rushed the ball against No. 23 Mercer with more efficiency than every other team the Bears had faced in 2021 - except only No. 1 Alabama. Mercer's run defense was 71 percent against MSU but was higher against every other FCS opponent they had faced last fall.
• Morehead State's four running backs used so far - Chance Harris, James Louis, Nate Adebayo and Zavier Lomax, have combined for 49 carries and only lost a total of seven net yards between the quartet.
• Eight Eagles were tabbed Preseason All-PFL by Phil Steele. Those included First-Teamers Cam Marriott, Devon Connors, Cooper Krezek and Brady McKnight. Second-Team picks were offensive linemen Jaxsen Spears and Jacob Ungruhe. Third-Teamers were Sese Aumavae and Khiyree Keith.
• Morehead State's defense forced three turnovers at Montana State, including interceptions by Dylan Leonardis and Enzo Fantau-Barker and a fumble return for a TD by Javian Browder. For Browder it marked his second career fumble recovery.
• Kicker Nathan Hazlett has been perfect so far in 2022. He is 4-of-4 on field goals, with a long successful upright split of 40 yards at Montana State. He is also 2-of-2 on PAT attempts.
• Starting offensive center Cam Marriott has appeared now in 42 games in his career, including starts in the last 20 games.
• In the last 50 games since 2017, Morehead State has only been shutout one time (at James Madison in 2021 spring).
• Khiyree Keith leads the defense with 15 tackles in 2022.
• Cooper Krezek leads all active defensive players with 126 career total tackles, including 8.5 in the opponents' backfields.
By Matt Schabert, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations