Diversity is a core value at Morehead State Public Radio (WMKY) and Morehead State University. This is reflected in MSPR's programming, community outreach, station staff and Community Advisory Board.
With approximately 9,000 students from 100 Kentucky counties, 45 states and 36 nations, our commitment to diversity is displayed through the university's unique student body, as well as our employees. Morehead State University (MSU) strives to create and educate an inclusive community that embraces and enhances the importance of diversity through promoting values and development of all individuals, while respecting all human differences.
Diversity, as a concept, describes an inclusive community of people with varied human characteristics, ideas and world views related, but not limited, to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, color, creed, national origin, disabilities, socio-economic status, life experiences, geographical region, or ancestry. Diversity also recognizes the creation of a safe, supportive, and nurturing environment by institutions that honors and respects those differences. The policy "focusing on a diverse student body and workforce" advocates the inclusion of students and employees from historically and continuing underserved populations.
The President's Diversity Council at Morehead State University strives to create and maintain a campus and community environment that embraces, values, and celebrates the diversity of cultures, backgrounds, talents, and abilities of students, faculty and staff at Morehead State University.
The duties and responsibilities of the President's Diversity Council include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advising the president on issues and practices that impact the University's commitment to diversity and equity, and providing recommendations for addressing inequities under Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
- Collaborating with the Affirmative Action Officer concerning policies, procedures, and implementation of the University's Affirmative Action Plan and the Kentucky Plan on Equal Opportunities.
- Coordinating and implementing the University Diversity Plan, proposing diversity-related initiatives, and promoting a safe and supportive campus community to enhance the academic success and intellectual growth of all students.
- Reporting annually to the campus and community the actions taken and the progress made by the Council.
- Developing planning and assessment processes that inform successive phases of the Diversity Plan.
Morehead State Public Radio (WMKY) is committed to diversity in programming, community outreach and staff. Comments or questions may be directed to Paul Hitchcock, MSPR General Manager, at 606.783.2001 or by e-mail at: email@example.com