Baseball Set to Host Senior Day and SIUE to Cap Final Homestand of 2022
Following a win over Marshall to kick it off, the Morehead State baseball team looks to wrap up their final homestand of the year this weekend vs. OVC rival SIUE. The Eagles have won three straight, but face a Cougars team that averages nearly eight runs per game.
Friday's opener begins at 5:00 p.m. ET, with a 6:00 p.m. ET start on Saturday and Sunday's 1:00 p.m. Senior Day finale to follow. Friday and Sunday's games are available on ESPN+, with live stats available for all three contests.
- Sunday's Senior Day will be the first since 2019 for the Eagles. Nine seniors will be honored before the contest, as John Sherman, Zack Smith, Zach Miller, Brody Shoupe, Logan Goodnight, Nick Gooden, Bryce Ray, Alex Jacobs, and Ashton Roy are set to graduate this weekend.
- Morehead State has been excellent at Allen Field in 2022, posting a 16-6 record in their home park this season. In OVC play, the Eagles are 6-3 in nine home games.
- Graduate student left-fielder Alex Jacobs heads into the weekend with a 44-game on-base streak, now only six games shy of the school record with seven games left in the regular season. Jacobs is second on the team in batting average (.376) and hits (65).
- Ryley Preece tied Jackson Feltner for the team lead in home runs with his two-run blast against Marshall on Tuesday. Preece also has a 28-game on base streak, and leads the OVC in walks with 39 bases on balls this season.
- Speaking of Jackson Feltner, the sophomore first baseman has been a force in the batter's box in 2022. Feltner leads the team in batting average (.382), doubles (16), hits (71), and is in the running for first-team All-OVC honors.
- Nick Gooden has been on base safely in his last 15 games, good for the third longest active on-base streak on the team, and fourth longest on the season. Gooden is one of four Eagles batting over .300 on the season.
- Ashton Roy launched a two-run homer Tuesday, his third of the season and first since homering twice in one day in a doubleheader vs. Eastern Michigan back in March.
- John Bakke is 2-0 since moving into the starting rotation two weeks ago. His first start as a member of the rotation was a complete game three-hitter vs. UT Martin. He followed that up last Sunday with a win over Eastern Illinois, throwing seven innings and striking out six in a 10-3 victory.
- Jarrett Miller has appeared more than any pitcher in the OVC this season, coming in 27 times for the Eagles. Since Bakke moved into the starting rotation, Miller has moved from long relief into a closing role, posting a six-out save to clinch the series win over Eastern Illinois last Sunday.
By Hunter Hurst, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations