OVC Season Finally Here for Baseball Eagles; MSU Hosts Murray State for Three
The Morehead State baseball team returns home to Allen Field this weekend for the first time in 14 days to open conference play with Murray State.
The Eagles (7-13) come in on a five-game losing streak, but have been successful in their home ballpark this season, going 6-3 at Allen Field. The Racers (13-6) lost their last time out to Valparaiso, and have not won a game on the road this season. Both teams will be looking to start hot to open conference play with the series opener coming on Friday at 3 p.m. ET. Saturday's contest starts at 2 p.m, with Sunday's first pitch at 1 p.m.
Friday and Sunday's games will be on ESPN+, and live stats will be available for all three games as well.
INSIDE THE SERIES
Season Records: Morehead State (7-13)/Murray State (13-6)
Murray State leads the all-time series 69-61-1.
Morehead State was 3-2 against Murray State in 2021, but the Racers won the final meeting 8-7 in 13 innings in the OVC Tournament. The fourth game of the series last year did not count in the OVC standings.
PROBABLE STARTERS (MOR/MUR, 2022 STATISTICS)
Friday: Luke Helton (1-2, 6.29 ERA)/Hayden Wynja (1-1, 4.44 ERA)
Saturday: Alex Kafka (1-2, 6.08 ERA)/Cade Vernon (1-2, 4.91 ERA)
Sunday: TBA/Adrien Reese (1-0, 3.45 ERA)
- Morehead State has hit 22 homers as a team this season, with ten different Eagles going deep. Ryley Preece leads the way with five, Jackson Feltner is right behind him with four, and Roman Kuntz currently has three.
- Alex Jacobs used a two-run single in the first inning of Tuesday's contest against Kentucky to extend his hit-streak to 10 games and his on-base streak to 18 games. He has five multi-hit games during this current streak. His battingis.343 on the season (good for second on the team) and is hitting .444 during his hit-streak.
- Jarrett Miller currently leads the Eagles and is tied for the OVC lead in appearances this season with 13. He ranks tied for third in the nation in DI in appearances. The Ohio native is 1-1 with a 2.30 ERA and 15 Ks on the season. He leads all Morehead State pitchers in opposing batting average, as foes are only batting .173 versus the right-hander in 2022.
- Ryley Preece currently sits in a four-way tie for seventh in the OVC in runs scored with 19. He is also tied for third in walks with 18 and eighth in home runs with five. The former Johnson Central Golden Eagle has hit leadoff and played center-field in all 20 games for head coach Mik Aoki this season.
- Jackson Feltner and Colton Becker are deadlocked for both the team lead and sixth in the OVC in doubles with seven so far this year. Feltner is also tied for eighth in the conference in hits (27) and Becker is second in the conference in sacrifice bunts with three.
- John Bakke is tied for third in the OVC in saves this season with three.
SCHEDULE PAGE (Links to live video, live stats)
By Hunter Hurst, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations