Morehead State Students, Faculty Present Celebration of MSU’s First Century as a Public Institution
History faculty and students with Morehead State University's School of Humanities and Social Sciences and Camden-Carroll Library have collaborated on a research project to celebrate the history and accomplishments of the University's first century as a public institution.
A public presentation of this project will take place from 3 to 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 3, at the Kentucky Folk Art Center located 102 West 1st Street in Morehead. It will be on display at Camden-Carroll Library during the spring 2022 semester.
Students enrolled in History 310 - Introduction to Public History with Dr. Adrian Mandzy, professor of history, and History 352- History of Appalachia with Dr. Tom Kiffmeyer, associate professor of history, created poster presentations that illustrate their interpretations of MSU's challenges and successes since 1922.
Morehead State University began as Morehead Normal School, which opened its doors in 1887. The private school closed in 1922 when the Kentucky General Assembly established Morehead State Normal School. The state institution accepted its first students in the fall of 1923 and graduated its first class in 1927.
Name changes occurred in 1926 when "and Teachers College" was added, again in 1930 when it was shortened to Morehead State Teachers College, again in 1948 when "Teachers" was dropped and, finally, to university status in 1966.
To learn more about history programs at MSU, contact the Department of History, Philosophy, Global Studies and Legal Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org, 606-783-2655 or visit http://www.moreheadstate.edu/hpgl