Men's Hoops battles Belmont in OVC Tournament Semifinals Friday Night
One down, two to go. Morehead State's Men's Basketball team took care of business in the OVC Tournament quarterfinals Thursday night and now it's time for a title game game rematch with Belmont. The Eagles and Bruins tip off at 10:30 p.m. ET in the semifinals at the Ford Center in Evansville, Ind.
The game can be heard on the Eagle Sports Radio Network (WIVY-96.3 FM) with Chuck Mraz and Tom Lewis. It is also available on MSUEagles.com as well as network partner WGOH 100.9 FM/1370 AM. Tonight's game will be on ESPNU.
MOR: 22-10 | BEL: 25-6
Record vs. Belmont: 5-17
First Meeting: 1/24/13 Bel won 64-63 at MSU
Last Meeting: 2/10/22 BEL won 48-47 at BEL
Streak: BEL, 1 game
Record in Nashville, Tenn.: 0-10
Record in Morehead: 4-6
Neutral Record: 1-1
• It's a rematch of the 2021 OVC Tournament title game - one round earlier this time. Morehead State has won four consecutive tournament games, the first time since 2008-09 and 2009-10 the Eagles have a 4+ game postseason win streak. The Eagles won the tournament in 2009-09 (3 games) and won the first two in 2009-10.
• Morehead State boasted two First-Team All-OVC members for just the third time in program history (since 1980-81 when OVC split teams into first, second, ect.) and first time since 2010-11. Johni Broome and Ta'Lon Cooper each garnered first-team honors. For Broome, its the second straight year he is a First-Team All-OVC winner.
• Johni Broome is the 2021-22 OVC Defensive Player of the Year. He turned up his defensive dominance this year, blocking a program-record 126 shots (third in OVC history and ranking third in DI) while leading the conference and ranking ninth in DI in rebounds (first in the league in defensive rebounds by a more-than 2.0 average at 7.3).
• Johni Broome has blocked more shots (126) by himself than eight other OVC schools combined as a team (only UT Martin had more than 123), and he blocked more than the next two players behind him on the OVC stat chart combined. In OVC play, his 82 blocks WERE more than all other nine OVC teams had as a unit (UTM closest at 78).
• In its last 3 OVC Tournament games in the Ford Center, Morehead State has shot 37-of-44 (.840) from the free throw line.
• Johni Broome's 22 double-doubles ranks fourth in the nation. He has the most double-doubles for an Eagle since the program record of 28 by Kenneth Faried in 2010-11 and the most for an OVC player since Austin Peay's Chris Horton (25) in 2015-16.
• Ta'Lon Cooper now ranks second in program history in assists in a season. With his seven last night against Tech, Cooper has an OVC-best 192 helpers this year. Only one player (Nikola Stojakovic in 2007-08) has recorded 200+ assists in a season (204). Cooper also needs just two more assists to reach 400 for his career. With potentially two more seasons remaining, Cooper has 398 career dimes.
• Tray Hollowell has 83 three-pointers this season, officially now the third best single-season three-point total in program history. Only Maze Stallworth (95 and 87) has hit more in a single year than Hollowell. He hit a three-pointer in 36 consecutive games before it ended in the final regular season game vs. SIUE going 0-for-4.
• Jaylon Hall must like the number 14. The Wright State transfer has now scored 14 points in three consecutive games. He only reached double figures three times before the end of the year but now has 63 points (21,14,14,14) in the last four games. Hall has also earned a starting role in two of last three games.
• Skyelar Potter has enjoyed particular success against Belmont, averaging 15.5 points against the Bruins in the last four meetings. He scored 22 in the title game last season.
• Assistant Coach Scott Combs may very well own the league record for being involved in OVC Tournament victories. Combined with his time at MSU and 12 seasons at a successful Austin Peay program, Combs has coached in 28 tournament victories now and has helped teams win four OVC Tournament Championship games.
By Matt Schabert, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations