WMKY to air WFMT Orchestra Series (Fridays @ 10am beginning June 24, 2022)
This new series combines the Los Angeles Philharmonic (Summer), Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra (Fall), a new to-be-announced orchestra for the Winter quarter, and the San Francisco Symphony (Spring) into a single year-round series.
The WFMT Orchestra Series kicks off in late June, 2022 with the Los Angeles Philharmonic presenting a stunning set of 13 concert broadcasts. The series begins with a program of Schoenberg and Strauss featuring soprano Golda Schultz, with LA Phil Music Director Gustavo Dudamel at the podium. Other series highlights include:
- Jessie Montgomery’s Strum paired with Steven Mackey’s Shivaree Fantasy for Trumpet and Orchestra performed by Thomas Hooten. Mahler’s Symphony No. 4 rounds out the program, with soprano Camilla Tilling bringing the work to a thrilling close. Gustavo Dudamel (22-02)
- Susanna Mälkki conducts the orchestra in a program featuring the US premiere of Kaija Saariaho’s Vista, Scriabin’s Poem of Ecstasy, and Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1 with Beatrice Rana. (22-03)
- Nokuthula Ngwenyama’s Primal Message kicks off a program with the world premiere of Julia Adolphe’s Woven Loom, Silver Spindle featuring violinist Martin Califour. Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 rounds out the concert with Xian Zhang at the podium. (22-05)
- An all-Ellington celebration with conductor Thomas Wilkins and pianist Gerald Clayton, featuring Night Creature, New World A-Comin’, Black, Brown, and Beige, and The River Suite (22-06)
- Gustavo Dudamel conducts a powerful concert featuring two incredible world premieres: Garrido-Lecca’s Esperanza and Cortés-Álvarez’ La Serpiente de Colores. And to top it off, an astounding performance of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, with a fabulous lineup of soloists, including soprano Jeanine De Bique, mezzo Taylor Raven, tenor Issachah Savage, and bass José Antonio López with the Los Angeles Master Chorale. (22-12)
- Closing out Los Angeles Philharmonic’s set of performances in the WFMT Orchestra Series, Dudamel conducts the world premiere of Angélica Negrón’s Morivivi, mezzo-soprano J’Nai Bridges sings Lieberson’s Neruda Songs, and finishing with William Grant Still’s “Afro-American” Symphony (22-13)
And the WFMT Orchestra Series continues in the fall with Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra! Stay tuned for more information this summer.
The WFMT Orchestra Series
Fridays @ 10am beginning June 24, 2022 on WMKY 90.3FM