Community Advisory Board Mission Statement and By-Laws
The Morehead State Public Radio (MSPR) Community Advisory Board (CAB) will consist of individuals who reside in MSPR’s service region to assist the MSPR General Manager and staff in the review of programming, policies, fundraising and public relations. The role of the CAB is advisory, assisting MSPR to build the listening audience, expand the operational base of support, offer opportunities for students and serve the community’s educational and cultural needs.
- The role of the CAB is advisory. The CAB will assist the MSPR General Manager and staff by making recommendations and reviewing MSPR programming, policies, fundraising and public relations which builds the listening audience, expands the operational base of support, offers opportunities for students and serves the community’s educational and cultural needs.
- The CAB Chair will be selected from members of the board who are at the end of their second year on the board. A CAB Vice-Chair will be selected from members of the board having served at least one year on the board and a CAB Secretary will be selected from all members of the board. The Vice-Chair will assume the role of Chair at the first CAB meeting of the year. New officers will be selected at the last CAB meeting of the year or as needed to fill vacancies. CAB positions will be selected by majority vote by members of the CAB.
- The CAB will consist of 10 members who reside in MSPR’s service region. As much as is reasonably feasible, the geographic distribution of CAB members will reflect the MSPR member distribution. CAB members will serve a three-year term beginning on January 1 and ending on December 31 during the respective calendar years of their terms. CAB members may not serve consecutive terms but may return to the CAB after an absence of two years. One member shall be a student representative serving a one-year term, renewable for up to 3 years total, beginning in August, and is a voting member.
- CAB members will be appointed by the Vice President for University Advancement, based on the recommendation of the General Manager of MSPR. The CAB may recommend new members of the CAB to the MSPR General Manager. CAB members who miss three consecutive meetings or five meetings in two years may be asked to relinquish their remaining term on the CAB. If there is a vacancy, a replacement may be appointed.
- The CAB will regularly meet quarterly (February, May, August, and November) at a time and place designated by the CAB and the MSPR General Manager. CAB meetings are open to the public and unless noted otherwise held in the lobby of MSPR located at 132 Breckinridge Hall on the campus of Morehead State University. Advanced notice of the meetings will be provided to the public through the appropriate media services.
- The quorum for CAB meetings will be defined as the number of CAB members in attendance. If needed, CAB members not in attendance may vote on issues through other sources such as telephone, e-mail or mail. In the event of a tie vote after all available CAB votes have been cast, the MSPR General Manager or designated MSPR representative may cast the deciding vote. In the event an issue needs to be addressed between regular meetings, the CAB may, at the discretion of the Chair, disseminate information about and vote on such issues.
- Through the assistance of MSPR’s General Manager, the agenda for the CAB meetings will be approved by the CAB Chair and provided (in advance) to members of the CAB. Minutes of the meetings will be prepared by the CAB Secretary (or designee) for approval by the CAB. Approved minutes will be placed in MSPR’s public file and on MSPR’s website for public viewing.
- Based on the applications received, the CAB will select a recipient for the annual CAB Student Leadership Award. Criteria for the award will be determined by the CAB. The student member shall not have a vote on this award.
- These by-laws may be amended at regular CAB meetings by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of the total CAB. The proposed by-law changes will be posted on the station’s website for thirty (30) days prior to the vote. CAB members not in attendance at the regular CAB meeting can vote by e-mail sent to the CAB Chair prior to the meeting.
(updated August 2022)