Waste not, want not: city encourages recycling used Christmas trees and old holiday lights
You can also help create a habitat for fish by donating your natural Christmas tree to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources' Christmas for the Fishes tree recycling program. From now until Saturday, Jan. 15, you can drop off your natural Christmas tree at Jacobson Park’s paddleboat dock parking lot between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily.
Again, be sure to remove all decorations. The trees will be submerged in public waters, making great refuge and feeding habitats for game fishes.
Finally, from now until Sunday, Jan. 16, residents can drop off broken or unwanted holiday lights, including string lights, rope lights and electric
candles at partner collection sites throughout the city. Other items that can be dropped off include extension cords, timers, light sensors, power strips and other small electronics.
Electronics, including holiday lights, should never go in recycling carts or recycling dumpsters. They cause damage to equipment at the Recycle Center and put employees at risk.
The business drop off locations for this year’s holiday light collection drive are:
· A Cup of Common Wealth – 105 Eastern Ave.
· Cabela’s – 1510 Conservation Way
· Chocolate Holler – 400 Old Vine St.
· Crank & Boom – 1210 Manchester St. and 3101 Clays Mill Road #301
· Good Foods Co-op – 455 Southland Dr.
· Government Center – 200 E. Main St.
· Johns Run/Walk – 317 S. Ashland Ave. and 3735 Palomar Centre Dr.
· Lexington Senior Center – 195 Life Lane
· Most Valuable Pets – 921 Beaumont Centre Pkwy. #100
· Perspectives – 352 Longview Plaza
· Pet Supplies Plus – 4101 Tates Creek Center Drive
· Pivot Brewing – 1400 Delaware Avenue
· West Sixth Brewery – 501 W. Sixth St.
· Wild Birds Unlimited – 152 N. Locust Hill Dr.
and other electronics can be taken directly to the Electronics
Recycling Center year-round. The center is located at 1306 Versailles
Road. Visit lexingtonky.gov/eWaste for hours of operation.
City yard waste collections will resume on Monday, Jan. 3.
For more information, contact LexCall at 311 or (859) 425-2255.
Copyright 2021 WUKY