District 9 Road Report: State Highway Work Zones for May 22-29
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet reminds motorists to watch for lane closures, delays, and traffic changes in state highway work zones.
In addition to mowing operations that are now taking place across northeast Kentucky, the Highway District 9 Road Report includes the following road construction this week:
- KY 3294 (Cannonsburg Road): Paving starts today with road repairs between US 60 and Shopes Creek (mile markers 0-4). Resurfacing should start Thursday or Friday and finish by May 31, weather permitting.
- US 60 (Coalton to Cannonsburg): Road reconstruction along 4 miles of US 60 between I-64 at Coalton and the Cannonsburg KY 180 intersection. Lane shifts, daily flagged traffic, narrow travel lanes, speed limit changes, blasting. Expect delays. Detours: Princeland Drive is closed, and detoured to Princess Dr. All KY 5 traffic is detoured to Princess Drive intersection. Use KY 180-Exit 185 as alternate route to and from I-64 to avoid delays.
- KY 3, KY 773 (Bolts Fork), KY 752 (Brooks Road), KY 854: Blacktop patching operations over the next two to three weeks. One-lane, flagged traffic, and delays expected.
- KY 168 (Blackburn Avenue): One-lane, flagged traffic for blacktop patching at various locations between 13th Street in Ashland and Westwood within the next two to three weeks.
- KY 3: Drainage and slip repairs between Spurlock Hill and Indian Trail are scheduled to start May 31. Expect lane and road closures.
- AA Highway/KY 7 Intersection: Upgrades to the traffic signal system will require temporary lane shifts and lane closures. Use caution, watch for traffic changes and possible flagged traffic at times.
- KY 7: State highway crews will be cleaning and repairing ditches on KY 7 from mile markers 12 to 16, between KY 1 and the AA Highway north of Grayson. Watch for one-lane, flagged traffic, delays.
- KY 1620: Drainage repairs will require temporary daytime road closure just past Davis Trail Road (milepoint 3.1). School bus traffic will not be impacted. Suggested detour: KY 504 and KY 955 through Limestone.
- KY 57, KY 1515, KY 344: Blacktop patching operations in various locations within the new few weeks. One-lane, flagged traffic and delays expected.
- Coming soon to KY 599 (Wallingford Road) and KY 1336 (Days Mill Road): Paving on Days Mill and on Wallingford Road between downtown Flemingsburg and Wooley Road will start soon. Watch for signs and message boards.
- KY 207 (Hunnewell-Argillite Rd): Paving between the Carter County line (mile marker 0) and Sandsuck Creek bridge (milepoint 6.3) at Argillite. One-lane, flagged traffic, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day. Should finish up by Thursday, weather permitting.
- KY 10 (AA Highway): Blacktop patching. One-lane, flagged traffic at various locations east of the Carter-Lewis county line, mile markers 0-2. Next two to three weeks.
- KY 3306 (Tunnel Branch) and KY 3307 (Whetstone): Blacktop patching operations over the next two to three weeks. One-lane, flagged traffic and delays expected.
- KY 419, KY 3056, KY 1449: Blacktop patching operations will take place in various locations on these highways. One-lane, flagged traffic and delays expected.
- KY 1244, KY 1285, KY 13: Blacktop patching operations will take place in various locations on these highways within the next few weeks. One-lane, flagged traffic and delays expected.
- KY 1274 (Pretty Ridge): A cement stabilization project is continuing. Paving work will require temporary road and lane closures beginning this week. Watch electronic message boards for updates.
- KY 377 (Cranston Road): Utility relocations between KY 32 and Triplett could require temporary lane closures, flagged traffic, etc. Motorists should use caution, slow down in work zones, and be prepared for delays.
- KY 519: Pavement and roadside repairs will require intermittent flagged traffic. Use caution.
- Cimmaron Road: New bridge open off KY 32. Contractors are conducting final paving and other work to finish out the project. Use caution.
- Coming Soon on KY 1167 (Dry Creek Road): Pavement repairs, paving from KY 519 to Clack Mountain East (mile markers 0-5).
Motorists should also watch for lane closures and flagged traffic where crews are mowing along state highway roadsides, as well as for daily maintenance activities such as paint striping, pothole patching, ditching, and other repairs in District 9’s service area of Bath, Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Fleming, Greenup, Lewis, Mason, Nicholas and Rowan counties.
In addition to providing real-time traffic information online at GoKY.ky.gov or via Waze on your smartphone, the Kentucky Department of Highways District 9 updates road work on social media at Facebook.com/KYTCDistrict9 and at Twitter.com/KYTCDistrict9.
Road work schedules are subject to change depending on weather conditions. Motorists are asked to heed all warning signs, slow down in work zones and remain aware of workers and construction equipment when traveling.
WORK ZONE TIPS
- Slow down, buckle up, and expect the unexpected.
- Stay alert, and avoid distractions.
- Don’t tailgate. Keep a safe braking distance between you and the vehicle ahead, and between construction workers and equipment.
- Obey road crew flaggers, and pay attention to message boards and warning signs.
- Plan ahead: Visit ky.gov or use Waze to see where road work is taking place. Or visit your highway district’s social media accounts. Find your district at https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictPages.