Treser and Maher score, but soccer falls 3-2 in overtime to EKU

Sep 18, 2017

Credit MSU Athletics

Morehead State soccer capitalized on two separate equalizer opportunities, but ultimately fell to Eastern Kentucky in overtime by a score of 3-2 on Sunday afternoon at Jayne Stadium.

With the Eagles' second straight overtime loss to an in-state conference opponent in as many matches, Morehead State drops to 1-7 on the season. The Colonels advance to 4-3-2.

"These were probably our best two games that we've played back-to-back so far, yet we come out with no points," said MSU head coach Warren Lipka. "We prepared well, and we had our chances. We're not a 1-7 team. We came out and worked hard, and that's all you can ask for."

Eastern Kentucky started off the scoring less than 10 minutes after the opening whistle by way of a header from senior forward Emmi Carroll, coming off a corner kick by Sam Eastes. Morehead State responded before halftime, however, connecting on a volley by sophomore midfielder Morgan Treser off a well-placed cross from Cara Maher in the 31st minute.

Following a 1-1 tie at halftime, EKU freshman Kylie Thompson turned a through pass from Erin Torrence into the Colonels' second goal late in the second half. But, with just over a minute left on the clock, Eastern Kentucky was called for a handball inside its own box. Maher connected on the ensuing penalty kick, taking the match into an extra period.

It was in extra time that the Colonels finally put away Morehead State for good, as sophomore midfielder Marian Wolski ended the match with a shot past the back post via a cross from Jordan Foster in the 96th minute.

Maher's goal and assist anchored the MSU attack, complemented by a game-high three shots from Treser in addition to the 6-foot-0 Wexford, Pa. native's goal. Tayler Stivers, Ashley Ritchie, Dani Wilson, Holly Logsdon, Caitlyn Burdine, and Makenna Lavatori each logged a go at the net, bringing the Eagles' total to 10 shot attempts as a team.

Morehead State goalkeeper Michelle Washburn saw 15 shots from the Eastern Kentucky offense, collecting four saves in the process.

"We've got to keep going forward," Lipka said. "The bright side is we know we can play and do some good things. We've just got to find that consistency."

The Eagles return to action next Friday, hosting Southeast Missouri at 6 p.m. ET.